6 Must-haves this summer
Summer is a magical time of year where new adventures lie around every corner. There’s nothing like taking a hike on a clear summer day or sitting by the pool with a good book. But, one thing I’ve learned about adventures is that without the right tools, or in this case, accessories, adventures can become more of a challenge and less about fun. I’ve compiled a list of my summer must-haves to get you through any adventure in style.
- Polarized Sunglasses - polarized lenses not only offer maximum UVA/UVB protection, but also block glare from light reflecting off the surface of the water better than any other type of sunglass lenses. They can also be helpful for driving as they reduce glare-causing reflections from flat surfaces, such as the hoods of vehicles and light-colored pavement.
- Neck Hanging Sunglasses – Neck hanging glasses are quite possibly THE BEST thing ever! You’ll say goodbye to glasses falling from the collar of your shirt, falling off your head and getting scratched in the sand, rocks and other substrates that seem to claim every pair of glasses I’ve ever owned. You seriously won’t want to go back to any other type of glasses once you’ve tried these. Best of all, the days of losing your glasses will be over because when you take them off, they stay right where you left them, until you need them again.
- Bifocal Sunglasses – For those of us with complex vision demands that requires different prescriptions for distance and reading, bifocal sunglasses are a godsend. You can finally sit at the beach reading your new favorite book while clearly seeing your kids playing in the water. AMAZING!
- Sun Readers - Do you regularly wear reading glasses? If so, avoid the hassle of having to switch between your readers and sunglasses to read books at the beach or read a menu on a restaurant patio this summer and get yourself a pair of sun readers. You can thank me later!
- Kids Sunglasses – Let’s be honest, kids have a hard enough time listening, so protecting their other senses, such as sight, is vital. What better way to do that than with the full UV protection sunglasses parents want and the adorable glasses that kids require?
- Lens Cleaning Kit – While this one might make you scratch your head a little and wonder why it’s included as a must-have, let me ask you a question. Have you ever had your glasses fall from your (pick one: head, shirt, pocket) and land in the (pick one: water, mud, every other dirty thing possible) just to wipe it off with your nice clean shirt? While wiping them with your cotton shirt works ok using a microfiber cloth and lens cleaner will keep you and your glasses looking great.
The big takeaway from this should be, the nuisance level determines the care that’s required. For example, the sun in your eyes while relaxing is a pain, but scratches or broken lenses obscuring your vision on that bike ride or drive to the beach can be quite dangerous. So, don’t let anything stop you from getting out and enjoying the nice weather, just be sure to take along the right “tools” you need to have the BEST time.